Coffee can and Flash Light Candler
Resource from U.I.U.C Urban exstension
- 1 one or two pound coffee can or similar metal can
- 1 porcelain socket
- 1 60 watt bulb
- 1 4 to 6 foot extension cord
- Tape to fasten the end back in the can
- Remove one end of the can in such a way that the heavy rim of the can remains on the removed end. This will make it much easier to replace and can be done quite easily if the can opener is reversed from the usual method of end removal.
- Drill a hole approximately one inch in diameter in the end of the can that has been removed or in the plastic lid.
- Mount the porcelain socket in the inside of the can opposite the end that has been removed.
- Drill a small hole through this opposite end and attach the extension cord to the terminals of the socket.
- Screw in the light bulb.
- Replace the end of the can where the large hole has been drilled and tape securely or use the plastic lid that has been darkened.
- Hold the egg in front of the hole.
Flashlight and Black Paper Candler
- One 8-1/2 by 11 inch, or similar size, piece of black construction paper
- One flashlight
- Roll the 8 1/2 by 11 inch, or similar size, piece of black construction paper into a cone. Make opening at the small end of the cone approximately 1 inch in diameter.
- Place a flashlight in the large end of the cone, darken the room, turn on the flashlight, hold the large end of the egg at an angle to the small end of the cone examine the interior contents of the egg.
Back To Links